USEFUL PHRASES THAT A CLERK OR CUSTOMER MIGHT USE
1. FINDING THE RIGHT STORE / SHOP
- Can you recommend a good toy shop/store?
- Is there a chemist / pharmacy in this area?
- Where can I get pet food from?
- Where is the nearest shopping centre?
- Could you direct me to the nearest post office please?
- Do you know where the nearest hardware store is?
- There is a really good book shop just around the corner.
- You can buy that here in the hotel.
- The nearest one is a few mile away.
- The best toy shop is in the shopping centre.
- The post office isn’t open on Sundays.
- The convenience store on the corner might sell that.
2. OPENING TIMES
- What time are you open until?
- What time do you close today?
- Are you open on the weekends?
- Are you open all day?
- What are your opening hours?
- Are you open on Sundays?
- Are you open every day during the week?
- What time do you open tomorrow?
- Were open from 9am to 6pm.
- We’re open on weekdays only (Monday to Friday).
- We’re open from 10am to 8pm.
- We’re open 7 days a week.
- We’re open 24/7 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
- We’re closed at lunchtime, between 12pm and 2pm.
- We’re closed on Bank Holidays (national holidays).
3. SELECTING GOODS
Clerk’s / Assistant’s Questions:
- Can / May I help you?
- Can I help you find something?
- What colour would you like?
- What size would you like?
- Is there anything else I can help you with?
- Would you like to try it on?
- Is that any good?
- What can I do for you?
- How does it fit?
- How about this one?
- Anything else?
- Would you like anything else?
- Excuse me, do you work here?
- Could you help me please?
- I’m looking for a ….
- I’m trying to find a ….
- Could you tell me where the …. is, please?
- How much is this?
- How much are these?
- How much does this cost?
- How much is that …. in the window?
- Where can I find the …. ?
- Do you sell …. ?
- Do you have any … ?
- Would you have this in another colour?
- Have you got anything cheaper?
- Do you have something less pricey (expensive)?
- Do you have this item in stock?
- Do you have a smaller/bigger/larger size?
- Do you know where else I could try?
- Does it come with a guarantee/warranty?
- Where is the changing/fitting room?
- Is there somewhere I can try it/this/them on, please?
- Where can I weigh my groceries?
- Do/Can you deliver?
- Do you have a refund policy?
- Is this in the sale?
Clerk’s / Assistant’s Responses:
- I’m afraid that’s the only colour we have.
- Sorry, we don’t have any more in stock.
- Sorry, we don’t sell those / them here.
- I’m afraid we don’t have any more left.
- I have exactly what you’re looking for.
- This one is on sale right now!
- It comes with a manufacturer’s warranty.
- It comes with a 1 year guarantee.
- The changing / fitting rooms are that way.
- The scales are by the counter over there. That’s where you can weigh your groceries.
- That one is ….(price).
- They’re ….(price) each.
- You can get a refund if you keep the receipt safe, and bring it back within 2 weeks.
- I don’t need any help. I’m just browsing, thanks.
- No, I’m just looking, thanks.
- Wow, that’s cheap!
- That’s good value.
- Oh, that’s expensive.
- That’s quite reasonable.
- That’s a little over my budget.
- That’s not exactly what I’m looking for.
- I’ll take it.
- I’ll take this, please.
- It’s too long / too short.
- It’s too tight / too loose.
4. MAKING PAYMENT
Cashier’s / Clerk’s Questions:
- Are you in the queue?
- Are you being served?
- Who’s next?
- Next please!
- How would you like to pay?
- Will that be cash or credit?
- Do you have a loyalty card?
- Would you like a bag?
- Can I help you with anything else?
- Will that be all?
- Would you like a gift receipt for that?
- Would you like me to gift wrap it for you?
- Would you like that gift wrapped?
- Would you like any cashback?
- Put your card into the machine please.
- Enter your PIN please.
- That comes to ….(price) please.
- The total is ….(price).
- That’s ….(price) please.
- Do you take credit cards?
- Can I pay by cheque please?
- Could I have a receipt please?
- Could I have a gift receipt please?
- Could you gift wrap that for me please?
- Can I put one item back please? I’ve changed my mind about this one.
- Could I leave my bags here, and pick them up later please?
- Do you offer a cash discount?
- Does it have a warranty / guarantee?
Cashier’s / Clerk’s Responses:
- We take / accept all major credit cards.
- Sorry, we don’t accept cheques.
- I’m afraid we take cash only.
- We’re offering 6 months credit, with no deposit, if you’re interested.
- I’ll pay in cash.
- I’ll pay by card.
- Here’s ….(money), keep the change!
- That’s it for today.
- That’s all, thanks.
- Thank you. Have a good day!
5. RETURNS AND COMPLAINTS
- Who can I speak to about making a complaint?
- Could I have a refund please?
- Can I speak to the manager please?
- I’d like to return this please.
- I’d like to make a complaint.
- I’d like to change this for a different size please.
- Do you have the original receipt?
- Did you buy it from one of our other stores?
- Can I ask why you’re returning it please?
- Can I ask why you’ve changed your mind please?
- It doesn’t work.
- It doesn’t fit.
- It was a gift, but I don’t like it.
- It was a gift, but the person I bought it for doesn’t like it.
Fuente: My English Teacher